Sunday, February 5, 2012

Superbowl Sunday 2012

Today is Super Bowl number 46. 


In the spirit of always being honest in this blog, I admit that I actually don't care much about the Super Bowl this year.  Living here in New York that is a blasphemous statement since the New York Giants are playing against the New England Patriots in a rivalry that runs deep.


I am not a New Yorker by birth.  I transplanted myself here almost 9 years ago.
I am a die hard, native San Franciscan. My first football love was the San Francisco 49ers.
It still is and always will be.  I can't seem to root for a NY team with any type of honesty.


I have the 49er "Glory Years" of the 1980s under my belt with 4 Super Bowl wins.  
There was a bonus win in the 90's for a total of 5 Super Bowl wins.
My team hasn't been that good in a very long time. This year was so close.  1 lousy
field goal made by the opposing team in the playoffs and they were out. 


I am very proud of the team and their accomplishments this year.  I loved watching whatever game the East Coast channels would play since most years the games are rarely televised.  I loved whatever scenery they would show us. I believe that most of us who have departed the Bay Area are nostalgic for most things San Francisco, especially scenery.  We love to say "I've been there," or "I know that place."  I loved boasting my San Francisco-ness to anybody who would listen. 


It takes a real football fan to continue loving their team during the rough years of not winning.
This year paid off for me.  Even though my team is not playing in the Super Bowl, this Native San Franciscan is wearing her 49ers sweatshirt with love & pride.  And a bit of nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment